Thursday, October 22, 2009

Two Sisters

Whenever I tell anybody that my sister I used to fight all the time, they never believe me. "But you two seem so close!" is always the response. I think that a lot of the time, siblings who are close enough in age (Lyndsey and I are four years apart) are destined to fight when they're younger. My sister and I fought up until the time I left for college, a two days drive away from where my family lived. After that, there didn't really seem to be any reason to fight anymore. And I'm glad.

My younger sister, Lyndsey, and I


It wasn't always bad, though. I was just telling my fiance last night about when Lyndsey and I shared a bedroom in Key West. We had matching pink, flowered comforters, and our twin beds were in an "L" shape, with the foot of her bed connecting to the head of my bed. This was before Lyndsey had her tonsils and adnoids removed, and she snored extremely loudly. I remember making a stockpile of beanie babies on the foot of her bed every night so that I could chuck them at her when she got going really bad. It was the most convenient way to shut her up, since I didn't have to get out of bed.

Lyndsey, Jared and I in Hawaii


And when we were even younger, and we lived in Hawaii, some of our favorite games were "photo studio" and "school." I was the teacher or the photographer, and Lyndsey (and sometimes our brother, Jared, who was just a baby at the time) would be my eager students or subjects.


Lyndsey and I at a pumpkin patch in California

As we started to get older, we had the same taste in music and books. We found more things to talk about and do together. When either one of us would have sleepovers with friends, we would all hang out together. I took her to her first concert (where she almost died, just ask her). This was also the time when there was the most fighting. Hormones, I think. Too must estrogen for one basement.

My sister and I right before she left for Italy


My sister is in Italy now, working as an au pair. I'm going to college in Florida, working on my degree in Journalism. Although we get to talk all the time, it's not the same as being able to see her whenever I'd like, or even be able to pick up the phone and call her. I think the hardest time will be at Christmas, the first time any of us kids will ever be missing. She's my best friend now, and she'll be my maid of honor. I miss our silly childhood games, trying to supress giggles so Mom wouldn't come down and scream at us for still being up, dancing along with our favorite music videos. I don't regret the fighting. It makes the relationship we have now that much more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment